There are few things better in life than hanging out at the beach all day with family and friends
Whilst on a vacation to the Emerald Coast at the Sea Oats Motel, and having a awesome barbeque and cocktails under the tranquil, blue sky as you watch the stars and lightning bugs come out.
At the Sea Oats Motel in sunny Destin Florida, we believe that not only should our long summer evenings, with Technicolor sunsets and cool ocean breezes, be made the most of, but so should our access to all kinds of amazing, fresh seafood. Putting a few things on to grill after you’ve splashed around in the warm gulf under the summer sun, and kicking back with a cold drink makes the evening just about perfect.
So here are a few fresh ideas to get you inspired and to get your taste-buds tingling from your friends at the Sea Oats Motel, the original beachfront landmark on the Emerald Coast:
- Kebabs– You can have a lot of fun with meat/veg/fish/fruit stuck on a stick! There are endless combinations to try out, clean up is none existent, and the kids can help assemble them, which they will love! Plus, few things are as easy to make or as easy to eat as kebabs. The secret to a great kebab is variation and spices. If you get the chance, try to make up kebabs the evening before your BBQ and marinate them overnight. We really like using sirloin cut into thick cubes and some of our giant, local shrimp… The ultimate surf and turf on a stick. Mix the kebabs up by adding in fruit like pineapple or mango, and finish the job with peppers, red onions, mushrooms and cherry tomatoes. Nice and colourful.
- Fish– BBQs are perfect for cooking up a heap of our local caught, fresh fish, whether it’s straight onto the grill or steamed with veggies and white wine butter in a parcel. Try your hand at grilling a whole fish with a blackening rub, great for cooking delicious red snapper with its mild, flaky white flesh, a very popular local catch. The marinas at Destin Harborwalk provide the ideal location to score lots of fresh fish, right off the boats. While certain fish, like snapper or grouper, is better grilled with the skin on, other firmer fleshed fish like yummy bluefin tuna or swordfish, can be grilled like a steak. We love a simple dish, where the flavors of the sea shine through. Try brushing tuna steaks, about an inch and a half thick, with olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and finished with fresh herbs like dill or rosemary. Sprinkle with lemon at the end and voila!
- Salads– Barbeques aren’t just about the hot food, it’s also what comes with them. Salad is often an overlooked part of the meal, but is perfect to add to a burger, or on the side with kebabs. Keep things simple with a tomato salad, made from big, beefsteak fruit,with crumbled blue cheese in a white wine vinegar dressing, or go more elaborate with a couscous dish.
- Breads– Not something you would think could be cooked on the barbie, but the Danish have a trick to teach. Once your sausages are cooked, the Danes put their sausage on a kebab stick, and then wrap bread dough around the sausage and hold over the heat. This works best over a very hot BBQ or fire, and will create the original ‘pig in a blanket’. Kids really love this one!
- Bananas– Most of us think of marshmallows when it comes to sweet things at a BBQ, so wrapping your whole banana in foil and chucking onto the grill is a fun alternative. This can be made even better if you first split the banana (but still keeping it in its skin) and inserting chocolate buttons- or for the more adventurous… small pieces of Snickers, mini marshmallows or similar confections. Calorific food that’s a real treat after swimming all day!
So come throw some shrimp on the barbie on the beautiful beaches of the Emerald Coast and getaway from it all at the beachfront retreat, the Sea Oats Motel in sunny Destin Florida.