Destin, Florida is a great place for kids of every age.
Whether you have a gaggle of children in your family, or you are just simply young at heart.
What is it about the beach that makes it such a hit with the kids?
Maybe it’s the laid back atmosphere, or the fact that everyone seems relaxed and ready for a good time. Maybe it’s because the beach is the one place where kids can cut loose and play in the water or get dirty, and mom doesn’t mind. Maybe it’s because the beach is an adventure, and with a little imagination, you can have an uncommon day of excitement.
The vacation professionals at the Sea Oats Motel, the original beachfront landmark on the Emerald Coast, love reminding our guests how kid-friendly our charming area is and with that said, they have prepared a list of amazing activities that kids of all ages will talk about(and talk some more after that)for years to come.
Also, remember that when you are visiting the Village of Destin this summer, be sure to make your next reservation at the perfect, beachside accommodations, the Sea Oats Motel off of Old Highway 98.
Fun things to do that the kids will love include:
- The Beach: Obviously this one is at the top of the list because our beaches are so unbelievably awesome. From learning to build a sandcastle, to hunting for hermit crabs, or just pretending that they are dolphins splashing in our emerald surf, this is a fun place for family members of every age.
- Fishing: Well of course fishing made the list! Destin is known as the “Luckiest Fishing Village in the World” for a reason, after all. Whether you fish off our docks, pier, at the jetties, from the shore or off the back of a luxury charter, your children will have a blast at the ever changing adventures and colorful fish species that they catch. Heck, bring back your yummy catch to the Sea Oats Motel and cook up some fresh, gulf seafood right in the comfort of your suite’s fully equipped kitchen.
- Crab Island: There is a lot to do and see at Crab Island and a trip is never complete without sliding down the big inflatable water slide, getting ice cream from an ice cream man in a boat(yes, it plays music), ordering up some boiled peanuts(off the back of a boat too) or doing some snorkeling to see all the beautiful underwater creatures which call our area home. This item is grown tested and approved too!
- Gulfarium: One of the original attractions on the Emerald Coast, the Gulfarium has recently undergone extensive revamping to bring it into the 21st century. Your family will be delighted to see all the new offerings including the sea lion and dolphin shows, the “touch” tank where you can feel up sea plants and small, harmless aquatic animals. For an extra fee you can have encounters with various marine life, like feeding penguins, having a dolphin encounter, or “fishing” in a stock tank.
- The Track: Go Karts, an arcade, bumper cars and mini golf just to name a few. Its like a carnival, only its open year round. Kids, and Dads, will go gaga over this place.
- Take a Sandcastle Lesson: Offered through Beach Sand Sculptures, owner/operator Rick Mungeam and his wife, Capri, offer fun filled sandcastle lessons for all ages. They also sell a keepsake bucket with all the sand sculpting tools you will need to build that giant octopus sculpture on the private beach at the Sea Oats Motel.
- Big Kahuna’s: Voted in the top 5 water parks in the country by the Travel Channel, this place has everything for the adventurer in your family. With over 40 rides, a wave pool and one awesome lazy river complete with waterfalls, alligators and other sea monsters, you may need more than one day to see and do everything. This park is ultra clean, which is an important consideration for parents who would only like good memories of their vacation:).
- Gator Beach: This is at Fudpuckers on the Beach, where you can watch and feed live alligators. Gregory Kempton runs Gator Beach, he’s the one with the bushy beard, and he is very knowledgeable about our local animal life. You will oh and ahh over his alligator demonstration and facts. Be sure to take a picture with a gator to show everyone back home!
So this summer, grab the kids and head down to the Sea Oats Motel and the beautiful beaches of the Emerald Coast. There is something for every member of your family here and you will not be disappointed.