At the Sea Oats Motel, the original beachfront vacation haven in Destin Florida, we love a good beach day, and one of the best treats to enjoy while spending time on the pristine white sand or after splashing in the sparkling surf is some cool, refreshing watermelon.
A great way to stay hydrated and cool, watermelon contains a fair amount of water as well as lots of fiber and electrolytes which will help keep your family chugging right along.
For the kids, you can cut up chunks and serve them in the shell of the watermelon or Tupperware container. Or make slices that they can grab and keep they in the cooler. Or maybe mix slices of watermelon with mango, kiwi, grapes, strawberries and pineapple for a healthy alternative to pre packaged sweets. Drizzle with a bit of honey and sprinkle with lime juice, and a dash of cayenne pepperP to add a Caribbean flare to your fruit salad, and serve.
For adults, there’s a special way to get your daily serving of fruits and vegetables, and unwind all at once. There are a few ways to do it, but here is the Sea Oats Motel version called, ‘The Watermelon Wobble’:
Warning: for adults only
- 1 large watermelon, we recommend seedless
- A bottle of liquor such as vodka, flavored vodka is a good choice.
- Take a large watermelon and cut open a square about the size of large pencil eraser.
- Fill a cooking syringe with vodka or rum. Using a flavored vodka, such as grape or watermelon vodka, tastes great with watermelon.
- Inject the alcohol into the “panel” you opened. Repeat this 7 to 8 times, depending on the size of the melon and how alcoholic you want it to be. The alcohol will soak through the melon.
- Refrigerate the spiked melon overnight to allow the fruit to soak the alcohol thoroughly.
- Serve the spiked melon the next day. Don’t forget to give potential drivers a heads up.
You may also opt to spike the watermelon when it is already cut. You can pour the alcohol over two halves, or over slices or over cut-up pieces. You can even use a melon baller and pour vodka over the balls. Again, leave the soaked fruit in a refrigerator overnight.
The perfect summer refreshment, it’s awesome served in freshly made lemonade or devoured alone. This gulf coast delicacy is fantastic at the beach, at a barbeque, to take along on camping, kayaking, even golfing.
Make our Watermelon Wobble when visiting the gorgeous beaches of the Emerald Coast, and you’re guaranteed to be the most popular person on the shore.
For more great beach tips and secrets, or for reservations at the perfect, laid back beachfront accommodations, call the Sea Oats Motel in sunny Destin Florida today 833-803-3320